What is Geomajas?
Geomajas is a collection of free and open source GIS libraries, tools and API's for a complete end-to-end web mapping solution. Its main components are the client and server projects, which have been designed to closely work together.
Main client features are:
- Complete web mapping API
- Full HTML 5 support
- Geometry editing framework
- Printing services
- Supported layer types: TMS, WMS, OSM
Now this is where it gets interesting. Altough the client can work autonomously, it's by making use of the server libraries that the true power of Geomajas kicks in. The server provides the concept of "Backend layers". This means that the Geomajas server can act as a 'proxy' for many layer types adding security or business logic or even influencing rendering mechanisms.
Main server features are:
- Backend GIS layer concept
- Out-of-the-box security
- Integrated configurable pipeline mechanism using Spring
- Clustered caching mechanism
- Advanced querying capabilities (CQL)
- Supported layer types: TMS, WMS, Hibernate and any vector based format supported by Geotools (WFS, PostGIS, Shapefile, Oracle, ...)